Historic San Gabriel Mission came close to destruction July 12 in a fire of unknown origin. The blaze destroyed the roof and many of the pews, along with some artwork. Much of the contents of the building had been removed for a renovation in anticipation of the Mission's 250th anniversary in 2021. A complete assessment is in progress.
The building was completed in approximately 1806 after the mission was relocated from its original location at Whittier Narrows, founded in 1771. An active congregation has worshipped at the Mission for over 200 years, and it has been a focus of study by generations of students in the region, including TCHS students from most classes in their fourth grade year.
The Mission was the starting point for the families who walked the nine miles west to found Los Angeles in 1781, and it was the source of population for several other Spanish and Mexican era settlements, making the Mission the birthplace of the birthplace of many if not most TCHS alumni. The Workman and Temple families instrumental in the founding of Temple City and many descendants were reputedly parishioners at various times.
Contributions to reconstruction can be made at the following link.
Most news outlets have additional details. This article will be updated.
News Views: TCHS Alumni News Log
ASSOC. EDITOR NEEDED Info
- David Matuszak '71 Pens Another Surfing Volume
- TCHS creates fruit orchard during Covid-19 hiatus
- Brighter Side Singers and Friends Take on Hallowe'en and More
- San Gabriel Mission Damaged by Fire, Roof & Pews Lost
- Microsoft Blocks TCHS Alumni Mail
- Social Distancing Photo Contest
- David Matuszak '71 conveys love of surfing in extensive compilation
- Ed Glassco '59, Musician, Mathematician, Recalled
- Bill Divale '60 exits the stage, fondly and respectfully remembered
- Clare Marquardt, Long time TCHS teacher passes
- Thomas Nelson Ross '56
- Tentatively Rescheduled 2020 Graduation